Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Learning the Ropes

Let just say that baby girl is keeping me on my toes. But I have to admit that she is a pretty good baby. I hear people who say their baby doesn't sleep at night and they don't have time to even shower, but we don't have any of these types of issues...well not on a normal basis. She is putting herself on her own schedule. If I feed her right before bed (about 8:30-9:30) she will sleep to about 1:30 then she gets changed and feed again 1:30-2:30 and wakes up again at 5:30 which works out great since Sandro has to wake up anyways at this time. Once I go back to work I will have to get up about this time anyways. Now on occasion if she has really bad gas she will keep us up in a loop of feeding, soothing, and crying but this has only happened a few times.

Now I must also admit that at this current moment I don't feel I have what it takes to be a stay at home mom. I crave social interaction and I beg Sandro to tell me all the gossip and everything that is happening at his work just so I can feel like I am part of an adult conversation. Solitude is just not my gig. Now I commend those mothers who can handle it and thrive on it but I don't prefer being at home. I have to say I haven't really felt that overall bonding feeling everyone talks about that happens at the beginning. Don't get me wrong. I love hanging out with baby girl but at the moment she only sleeps, poops and eats. She isn't up for much of anything else. I know this will change and I know my feelings will change once we start interacting more.

I am still struggling with the whole breastfeeding thing and sometimes this still makes me sad. I am eating oatmeal like a mad woman and taking FenuGreek and on occasion drinking Mother's Milk. I am not sure if any of this makes a difference. She latches on for about 20-25 each breast and then I usually end of feeding her about 3 onces of formula. Usually this process takes about 1 hour. I know that any amount of breastmilk helps even if she is only getting a small amount. Her Pedi is having me make sure I feed her about every 3 hours or less if Sophia wants it. She wants me to get about 7-8 feedings in a day. So if you do the math here, that means that currently my full time job is feeding our baby. So yeah it gets tiring. I feel like a milk machine. Our pedi also told me that the pumps don't always indicate how much milk the baby is getting and that I shouldn't worry if I am only getting drops after a feeding.

Baby Girl is stirring from her morning nap must return to work ;)

Here are some great pictures for your enjoyment

She loves laying with daddy. All calm after big meal.
Morning Nap. She ended up staying up the majority of the day.
One of the benefits of formula feedings. Daddy can help too.
Daddy was making fun of baby girl again.
First bath. She is okay at first but it always turns into a big drama.

1 comment:

Nana said...

She is presious. I love her so much. Thanks for the pictures, I feel so far away. I hope by the time I am there at Christmas she is staying awake longer. She is a eater alright. I think she eats more that Chris did. Your doing good, and it will only get better, hang in there baby girl. I love you.