Friday, February 3, 2012

Brief History of Me pt 2

So after learning that I loved computers I quickly became intrigued with learning how I could begin my career in this field. I worked for Texas Parks & Wildlife for a few summers and then I worked my senior year at Bastrop Central Appraisal District as Tax collectors assistant. This is when I learned of a business college that didn't require crazy exams or a ton of work to get in. (ESS College of Business **which is now closed) However, it was all the way in Dallas. I didn't even research my options to go somewhere locally (yes fail) but all I saw was opportunity and a way to get out of this small unforgiving town. I felt if I had stayed in Bastrop I would have been barefoot and pregnant and just generally unhappy.

As soon as graduation came, my foot was nearly out the door. I was ready to begin my life. I was ready to be on my own. Of course when I arrived this feeling only lasted a few months. The college partying days where just too irresistible. I think I finished about 3 semesters and it fizzled out and I never did get my associate degree. I did start working at Ticketmaster to make some money as a sales floor manager. It was okay but it started to get really annoying. I applied for my first real job as a contractor for Microsoft. Swoon.

I was in love. Love I tell you. I loved everything about working at Microsoft. Loved all the computers. Loved doing the call center gig. I could do it forever. But I couldn't stop partying. I gained a ton of weight during this time. Microsoft had the BEST cafeteria! Also, this was just a contract position and it had it's 12 month term that never got extended. Too bad the dream ended. I was able to find another job as a customer service rep. Mistake #548 taking a job you don't really want. It was the first and only time I was "let go." I quickly found another job at another big computer company, IBM.

Again, only (at first) pure love for this company. It was a contract position of course. But it was a long term contract that didn't end. I loved all the computers and the job. I loved talking about software support all day long. I loved my coworkers. I made friends. It was pure happiness. Then 2 years into the job I started to get depressed. (gained even more weight) I wasn't happy with myself. I learned they never hired contractors to full time. I worked my ass off for this company but they never would hire me. This is when I decided to go back to school. It was time for me get off my ass and make something of myself. I had to change my mindset. I had to try harder or I could just lead myself into absolute misery.

To be continued.....


No comments: