Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Brief History of Me pt 1

Lately I have been thinking a lot about my past. What made me who I am today. I often try to move forward and not dwell on the past. But sometimes I am reminded or I feel guilty for how well my life has turned out.

When I was five my mom and dad got divorced. My mother was married to a military life so she has to readjust to starting her life on her own. She moved to Bastrop, Texas with two kids in tow. It was the 80's and there was a recession. My mother found a job working for the state. Barely making minimum wage but the health insurance was really great. (oh how times have changed)

Shortly after coming to live in Texas I was diagnosed with chronic depression and severe anger issues. I also had learning disabilities. (slightly dyslexic and lazy concentration) Usually I had a tough time controlling my emotions. Often I would cry in school. From the age of 6 and up. Not sure what caused it. I was bullied for this. Made fun for being different. Made fun of for my clothes, being larger, made fun for my outbursts. I went to counseling for all of my student life up to 11th grade. They told me that I had grown out of it. However, they never once thought I was good enough for college or that I could make it in the real world. I kinda feel I was given up on. I would like to say that this broke me. But it didn't. All it did was make me more determined to reach my dreams and not be poor my whole life.

I started working when I was 14 at a local online computer book store. This was the mid 90's. This is the first time I was introduced to computers. I fell instantly in love. The geek side of me was finally blossoming.

To be continued....

Some pics from this morning...Working on my girlie new years resolution. :)

Me No make-Up


Me with Make-up

4 comments:

Mama said...

Love you girlie or non girlie. And I am very proud of you too!!!!!

Carol said...

challenges you experienced thru your loving Mom....She is proud of you as many of us are!
I was interested in your "history". I would CHANGE ONE SENTENCE "I would like to say that this broke me." to say I am very proud of the fact that this DID NOT BREAK ME...Your Spirit survived and you overcame and grew into the person you are today!!!! Hurray! Hurray! Love you!

Carol said...

The first part of my comment did not make it .....It began...I know of some of the challenges you experienced...etc.

Anonymous said...

Its interesting that people will say "life is like a bowl of cherries", but for some of us life is like a bowl of lemons. In the end, it isn't what life hands you as much as what you do with it once you have control over it. It is erie how similar people's lives are without realizing it. My hats off to you for not taking the easy way out.