Thursday, April 30, 2009

Weeks 15 and Week 16

Since I know my mother loves these and all. I thought I would keep you updated with all the development these last couple of weeks. Since I am measuring a little early I am a little less than 16 weeks. (Can you believe it? 16 weeks? 4 more weeks and I will be midway through) I can not believe it at all.

So here is what has happened in Week 15.
Your growing baby now measures about 4 inches long, crown to rump, and weighs in at about 2 1/2 ounces (about the size of an apple). She's busy moving amniotic fluid through her nose and upper respiratory tract, which helps the primitive air sacs in her lungs begin to develop. Her legs are growing longer than her arms now, and she can move all of her joints and limbs. Although her eyelids are still fused shut, she can sense light. If you shine a flashlight at your tummy, for instance, she's likely to move away from the beam. There's not much for your baby to taste at this point, but she is forming taste buds. Finally, if you have an ultrasound this week, you may be able to find out whether your baby's a boy or a girl! (Don't be too disappointed if it remains a mystery, though. Nailing down your baby's sex depends on the clarity of the picture and on your baby's position. He or she may be modestly curled up or turned in such a way as to "hide the goods.")

And here is what happening in week 16.
Get ready for a growth spurt. In the next few weeks, your baby will double his weight and add inches to his length. Right now, he's about the size of an avocado: 4 1/2 inches long (head to rump) and 3 1/2 ounces. His legs are much more developed, his head is more erect than it has been, and his eyes have moved closer to the front of his head. His ears are close to their final position, too. The patterning of his scalp has begun, though his locks aren't recognizable yet. He's even started growing toenails. And there's a lot happening inside as well. For example, his heart is now pumping about 25 quarts of blood each day, and this amount will continue to increase as your baby continues to develop.
Lately I have been feeling flutters. Just a tad, usually if I am upset or if I am eating too much sugar. Last night I was awakened by what I felt to be a punch in my belly. But of course I am not sure what I felt. All I remember saying when I woke up was "ouch!" hehe. I am honestly not sure if it's baby yet. Maybe it could be my imagination.

4 comments:

Nana said...

I noticed that you called the baby a she alot. Do you know something I don't??
love ya so much.

MrsSandro said...

hehehe you wish...you just want purple..that's all.

Nana said...

You got it baby girl!!!!

Uncle Ed said...

well is she or is she not a girl????